At the time of application, an applicant for the Rhodes Scholarship must be:
- A citizen of the United States; pending citizenship does not qualify.
- At least 18 but not yet 24 years of age (i.e., the applicant must still be 23 on October 1 in the year of application).
- Sufficiently advanced academically to assure completion of a bachelor’s degree before October 1 in the year following election.
Rhodes's vision in founding the Scholarship was to develop outstanding leaders who would be motivated to fight 'the world's fight' and to 'esteem the performance of public duties as their highest aim', and to promote international understanding and peace.
His will outlines four criteria to be used in the election of Scholars:
- Literary and scholastic attainments
- Energy to use one's talents to the full
- Truth, courage, devotion to duty, sympathy for and protection of the weak, kindliness, unselfishness and fellowship
- Moral force of character and instincts to lead, and to take an interest in one's fellow beings.
In short, Rhodes Scholarship selection committees will be seeking young women and men of outstanding intellect, character, leadership, and commitment to service. The Rhodes Scholarships support students who demonstrate a strong propensity to emerge as 'leaders for the world’s future'.
For more detailed information, please visit The Rhodes Trust website.
**Potential applicants at CUA must have a minimum GPA of 3.85 to begin the campus competition for the required university endorsement**
When should you start thinking about the Rhodes?
End of Sophomore/beginning of Junior year at CUA.
When should you begin the application?
Spring of your Junior year.
2016-2017 Competition Timeline
- April 15, 2015: CUA Pre-application Deadline
- July 2015: Application available online
- August 28, 2015: Rhodes Scholarship CUA Campus Deadline
- September 2015: On Campus Interviews
- October 7, 2015: Rhodes Scholarship National Application Deadline
For More Information
Contact Matthew Cantirino, Fellowships Coordinator at email@example.com to set up a meeting.