In order to be eligible for a Boren Scholarship, you must meet the following requirements:
- U.S. citizen at the time of application.
- Matriculated in an accredited undergraduate degree program.
- Boren Scholarships cannot be used for study in the United States, Western Europe, Canada, Australia, or New Zealand.
Successful Boren applicants must demonstrate a strong academic record and a record of community involvement and public service.
In addition, Boren Scholarships are awarded with preferences in the following areas:
- Plans to study abroad in countries, languages, and fields of study critical to U.S. national security.
- Plans to study abroad for a full academic year.
- A strong desire to work in the federal government.
Please note: While Boren Scholarships are only available to undergraduate students, the Boren Fellowship program offers similar support for graduate students. For more information, visit the Boren Fellowship webpage. The deadline for 2015-2016 Boren Fellowship applications is January 28, 2015.
For more detailed information about Boren Scholarships and Fellowships, please visit the Boren Awards for International Study website.
When you should start thinking about the Boren?
During your freshman year at CUA.
When should you begin the application?
Fall of your sophomore year.
2015-2016 Competition Timeline
- Late summer 2014: The application for the 2015-2016 Boren Scholarship Competition will be available online
- Monday, January 5, 2015: Boren Scholarship CUA Campus Deadline
- February 5, 2015: Boren Scholarship National Application Deadline
- Late April 2015: Winners selected and notified
On Campus Sessions
Sessions for the 2016-2017 Competition will be posted in Fall 2015
Boren Scholarships and Fellowships offer regular webinars for potential applicants.
These seminars are streamed live, giving applicants the opportunity to ask questions.
For specific dates and times for upcoming webinars, visit the Boren Webinar page.
For More Information
Contact Julie Yarwood, Fellowships Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org