The Catholic University of America is located in the center of it all, 3 miles from the United States Capitol. With its own station on Metro's Red Line, the campus is mere minutes from the political institutions, cultural attractions, and diverse neighborhoods of Washington, DC. In addition to class excursions and internship possibilities, the city provides University Honors Program students with innumerable opportunities for growth and learning outside of the classroom, including the nearby Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, concerts and operas at the Kennedy Center, ice skating in the sculpture garden at the National Gallery of Art, and the area's many restaurants, festivals, and museums.
UHP Sponsored Tickets
Often, the University Honors Program purchases a limited number of tickets for resale to a group of honors students. For such events, tickets will be available on a first-come, first-serve basis. The policy for reserving tickets is as follows:
To reserve your ticket, you will need to go in person to the University Honors Program office at a designated time. Tickets must be purchased in cash using exact change, and those first in line will receive priority. Email or phone requests will not be honored. Tickets will only be reserved when accompanied by full payment. A waiting list will be available.
Exceptions to this policy include: If a student cannot make it to the University Honors Program office at the designated time, he or she may request a delegate to vicariously purchase an extra ticket for them. To arrange for this purchase, the delegate should carry a note from the student for whom he or she is purchasing an extra ticket. This note should include the student’s name, Student ID number, valid reason for absence, and signature. Valid reasons for absence include class or other academic activity (such as musical performance or standardized test), illness, or emergency.
- Arena Stage offers a “pay your age” program for people under 30 or a 35% student discount. Must come to the box office or call sales; not available online. 202-488-3300
- Folger Theater discounted tickets must be purchased directly through the Folger Box Office at (202) 544–7077; discounts not available online. Students receive 20-25% off tickets to most programs. Student Rush Tickets are offered at 50% discount to most programs when purchased at the Folger Box Office window, beginning one hour prior to the event (subject to availability).
- The Shakespeare Theater Company releases an allotment of $15 tickets to patrons age 35 and younger every Tuesday at 10 am. Tickets are usually limited to performances through the following Sunday and are available in person at the box office and via phone at (202) 547-1122. There is a limit of four tickets per person.
- The John F. Kennedy Center has free performances nearly every day of the year at their Millennium Stage. Also, patrons age 17 to 25 can take part in a ticket program specifically designed with their interests and budget in mind. Register online as an Attend Member to receive monthly emails alerting you to substantial savings on the full spectrum of the Center's programming.
- Landmark's E Street Cinema student/military discount for $8.50.
- Woolly Mammoth Theater patrons who are 25 or under may purchase tickets for $15 for any performance, subject to availability of a given performance (with ID; maximum four tickets per sale). To purchase in advance or check availability, call 202-393-3939. Tickets are also available online; you must show proper ID when tickets are picked up.
- Woodrow Wilson House student discount drops regular admission from $10 to $5.
Washington D.C. attractions and events
- Basilica of the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
- Smithsonian Museums
- The White House
- Eastern Market
- National Mall & Memorial Parks
- Franciscan Monastery of the Holy Land in America
- Ice Skating in the National Gallery Sculpture Garden
- Things to Do in the Washington, D.C./Capital Region - about.com's guide to Washington, D.C.
- Event Guide Network (D.C.) - A general event guide to D.C.
- Culture Capital - A guide to cultural events.
- Cultural Tourism D.C. - Another guide to cultural events.